Thursday, November 20, 2008

HUMILITY

HUMILITY

When I think about the greatest cause of unhappiness it's often related to personal pride and selfishness.
I think that anyone that boastfully esteems himself or herself as important in a self-righteous way is actually showing
the credentials of their own worthlessness. Those who would aspire vainglory in Pride is actually an attempt to create an
impression that we are not what we actually are. How much happier would I be, if instead of self-lauding my pride, reducing it to zero.
I would then find the true infinite "through" the rarest of all virtues...namely ("humility"). Being humble is actually being true to oneself.
If I had the talent to be a good writer and told people I was nothing more than a scribbler,
such a statement would seem as though I was seeking praise. Rather; I would be humbler if I said;
Well; whatever talent I have is a gift of God and I thank Him for it.

The higher a skyscraper, the deeper it's foundation in the ground.
The greater the moral heights that I should aspire to, the greater should be my humility.
When John the Baptist recognized Jesus in the river Jordan he said; "I must decrease; He must increase".
In nature flowers humbly wilt and depart before winter to see only it's mother roots that remain in the soil.
Dead to the world it's roots keep house under the earthen soil in humble humility, unseen by the eyes of people.
But because they humbled themselves, they are exalted and glorified in their beauty in the new springtime growth.
Only when a box or human soul is empty can it be filled. Only when human ego is deflated can God pour His blessings.
Some human souls in life's journey have their hearts filled with so much self-pride that it is impossible
for love of thy neighbour and love of God to enter. If I should remain self-seeking constantly, friends, family, and
acquaintances would disown me.

I think that one of the most beautiful things about being receptive to humility is giving freely of ourselves to others.
Fact is I would have not learned to give of myself if I had not received or taken from somebody else who was generous.
One has to be a taker before one can be a giver from the heart.
So God, before He can be a Giver must find someone who is willing to take something from Him.
But if I am not humble enough to receive from God I am not open to receive anything.
In essence I receive nothing. A man once possessed by the devil was brought to a Father in the desert.
When the saint commanded the devil to leave, the devil asked;
What is the difference between the sheep and the goats whom the Lord will put at His right and His left Hand the day of Judgment ?
The saint answered; I am one of the goats. The devil said; "I leave you because of your humility".
How many in this world have said; ("And I personally am one of them")....I have laboured for years for others and even for God;
and what did I get out of it ? Nothing but great painful suffering. I am still nothing, a nobody.
The reality is though some of us are not fully aware of it, that; we have gained something;
in essence we have gained the truth of our own littleness...and of course great merit in the next life.
If you ask a person ("Are you a saint") if that person answers in the affirmative, you can be sure that he or she is not.
Why ? Because a real saint wouldn't dare boast before God that he or she is a saint.

A true humble person concentrates on their own mistakes and errors in life, not upon those of others.
A true humble person does not carry their own faults on their back, but in front of them.
A true humble person would carry the indiscrepencies of their neighbour hidden and concentrate on what is good and virtuous.
A proud person on the contrary complains against everybody and believes that they have been wronged or else not treated as they deserve.
From a spiritual point of view, If I was proud of my own intelligence, talent, or voice and never gave God thanks for such gifts
I would be nothing less than robber. It would be like taking gifts from God and never giving thanks to the Giver of all Gifts.
In nature the harvest ears of barley which bear the richest of grain always hang the lowest.
A humble person is never discouraged, but a proud person often falls into despair. The humble person has God to call upon.
The proud person has only their ego that has collapsed. How often I fall into despair. How often I forget the most humblest of beautiful
prayers. Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace. Where there is hatred, let there be love; where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where their is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not seek so much to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love.
For it is in Giving that we receive, it is in pardon, that we are pardoned, it is in dying to ourselves that we are born to eternal life.

No comments: